|first union and current union [message #1959]
||Fri, 11 April 2014 12:24
Registered: April 2014
▪ Qst 601-604, 609-611 (marital status).
▪ Qst 606-608 (polygyny).
Addition: questions on the first union/partner and on the current union
Data on union are collected by DHSs on 2 levels:
- The first union: one question on date/age at first union (610-611)
- The current union: several questions on cohabitation (604, 605), polygyny (606-608), husband's background (801-806).
In countries where marital disruptions (divorce, death) are common, this schedule makes difficult to analyze the characteristics of first marriage while it limits also the analysis of the current union.
- Concerning the first union, we have no information on the partner neither on the context of first union. It is an important limitation for analysis on adolescent behaviors and reproductive health, as first marriage is a key event in the transition into adulthood and in the control over women's future life. My suggestion is to add a couple of questions on the marital situation of the first husband/partner, and the family involvement in the first union;
- Concerning the current union, my suggestion is to add a question on the rank of the union and on the date/age at the union.
Recommended questions on first union
After Q611 and restricted to women who have been married or lived with a man more than once (Q609)
Question on the marital status of the first husband
At the time of your first union, did your (husband/partner) have other wives or does he live with other women as if married?
No other wives : He was
DIVORCED OR SEPARATED
Other wives : Including yourself, in total, how many wives or live-in partners does he have? (replication of Q607)
TOTAL NUMBER OF WIVES AND LIVE-IN PARTNERS
Questions on the family control over women's first union
Would you say that there was a formal agreement concerning your first union between your family and the family of your husband-to-be?
If yes, What was the duration between the agreement and the cohabitation with your husband?
THE AGREEMENT WAS GIVEN AFTER COHABITATION
LESS THAN 1 MONTH
LESS THAN 1 YEAR, NUMBER OF MONTHS: ...
MORE THAN 1 YEAR, NUMBE OF YEARS: ///
Recommended questions on current union
For women who have been married or lived with a man more than once (Q609)
Replicate Q610-611 for current union
Additional question on the rank of the union
Since your first marriage until now, how many unions did you experienced, including all marital disruptions?
These changes concern mainly countries where marital disruptions are frequent, especially SubSaharan Africa (divorce/separation rates over 30% in various countries).
[Updated on: Fri, 11 April 2014 12:25]
Report message to a moderator