|MCHIP suggested questions for PPH prevention, birth companion and newborn care [message #1862]
||Fri, 04 April 2014 11:32
Registered: March 2013
Attached are suggested additions/edits from the Maternal and Child Health Integrated Program (MCHIP), the USAID/Bureau for Global Health's flagship maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) program. These suggestions are based on recommendations of the Newborn Indicators Technical Working group, validation of two indicators on birth companion and skin to skin care, and MCHIP's intervention for prevention of Postpartum hemorrhage.|
1. Proportion of home births at which Misoprostol was consumed immediately after birth for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage
2. Newborns with nothing harmful applied to the cord
3. Newborns with chlorhexidine applied to the cord
4. Proportion of births at which a birth companion, selected by the woman was present.
5. Proportion of newborns placed skin to skin immediately after birth
6. Proportion of newborns dried/wiped immediately after birth
7. proportion of newborns with delayed bathing (at least six hours after birth)
A. Use of Misoporstol
1. DURING YOUR LAST PREGNANCY, WERE YOU GIVEN A DRUG CALLED MISOPROSTOL WHICH PREVENTS, STOPS, OR REDUCES CHANCES OF BLEEDING AFTER CHILDBIRTH
2. WHO GAVE THE MISOPROSTOL TO YOU?
3. DID YOU TAKE MISOPROSTOL TABLETS?
4. WHEN DID YOU TAKE THE MISOPROSTOL TABLETS?
B. Birth companion during pregnancy
1. FOR YOUR BIRTH WITH (NAME), DID ANYONE OFFER YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A COMPANION WITH YOU DURING YOUR LABOR AND DELIVERY?
2. FOR YOUR BIRTH WITH (NAME), DID YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE A COMPANION WITH YOU DURING LABOR/DELIVERY?
3. FOR YOUR BIRTH WITH (NAME), WHO DID YOU CHOOSE TO ACCOMPANY YOU DURING LABOR OR DELIVERY OF [NAME(S)]?
C. Essential Newborn intervention
1. WAS YOUR BABY DRIED OFF WITH A TOWEL (WIPED) IMMEDIATELY AFTER HIS/HER BIRTH, WITHIN A FEW MINUTES OF DELIVERY?
2. DID SOMEONE PLACE THE BABY ON YOUR CHEST, (NAKED) AGAINST YOUR SKIN, IMMEDIATELY AFTER DELIVERY OF THE BABY?
3. WHAT WAS USED TO CUT THE CORD?
4. WAS THE INSTRUMENT USED TO CUT THE CORD BOILED PRIOR TO USE?
5. WAS ANYTHING APPLIED TO THE CORD AT ANY POINT FROM THE TIME IT WAS CUT AND TIED UNTIL THE TIME IT FELL OFF?
6. WHAT WAS APPLIED TO THE CORD?
[Updated on: Sat, 05 April 2014 02:49]
Report message to a moderator