|date of separation, widowhood, and divorce [message #1825]
||Thu, 03 April 2014 22:26
Registered: March 2013
ADDITIONS: Making recommendations to add new questions:|
When making suggestions for questions to be added, provide the answers to these questions:
1. What is the information needed?
Date of divorce, or separation. I am suggesting to add this information on question 610. Please include the question for men as well.
2. What questions will elicit this information?
In what month and year did you divorce or separate from your husband?
I suggest to add this to question 610 where date of marriage is included. Question 610 itself is a follow up on question 603. To my knowledge these questions have not been fielded.
3. How will the resulting information be used?
First of all date of divorce is the only vital event that is not recorded in the Demographic and Health Surveys! Beyond this, ascertainment of divorce events is important to examine family dynamics, its impact on children, and women's empowerment. For instance, there is ample information about the adverse effect of divorce on child development and well-being. Union dissolution timing is also intricately related to gender relations and broader population processes such as education, urbanization and employment.
4. What is the priority of suggested additions compared with what is already in the questionnaires?
Questions 714 and 302 on sources of information about contraceptives are redundant. They could safely be integrated into one question.
5. If suggesting more than one addition, what is the priority among the suggested additions?
6. Should the additional data be collected in all countries, or only in selected types of countries (e.g., countries with a particular type of program, countries with prevalence of a particular infection >5% or 10%)?
We welcome your input.
Final decisions on questionnaire content are made by USAID
If you have questions, email us at email@example.com
Population Studies and Training Center,