|Bulk Downloading of Datasets Using a Download Manager [message #10072]
||Wed, 22 June 2016 08:22
Registered: February 2013
The DHS datasets download system now allows for bulk downloading to assist those users who are approved for a large number of countries/datasets. To use the bulk downloading system, data users must first install a download manager, which, due to authentication requirements, MUST be an extension or a plugin to a browser. There are a number of download managers available for each of the major browsers. However, the one we have tested extensively, and are recommending is called "Chrono Download Manager" for the Google Chrome browser. This extension is available from the Chrome library of extensions. Follow these steps to install the "Chrono Download Manager" for Chrome:|
Please see customization recommendations towards the end of this post. They are highly recommended.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Click on "Customize and control Chrome" button at top right corner.
- Select "Settings".
- Select "Extensions".
- Click on "Get more extensions".
- This will bring up a list of Chrome extensions available.
- In the search box type "Chrono".
- This should bring up the "Chrono Download Manager" in the extensions search results.
- Click on the "Add to Chrome" button, then confirm "add extension".
- This should automatically install the extension and when a blue box shows up, click on "Start!".
- That brings up the Chrono download manager interface, and you are now ready to use the DHS Bulk Downloading system.
The DHS bulk downloading system is accessed by first logging into your datasets download account on the DHS website, and following these steps (these steps are for users of the Chrono Download Manager):
There are a number of additional options and settings available for Chrono, if you'd like to customize it. These are available by clicking on the "gears" icon at the top right of the Chrono interface.
- After login, select a project.
- Click on the " Download Manager" button.
- Select countries, file data type, and file format type.
- Now click the "Build URL File list" button.
- Just above your selections, you'll see a link to a txt file ("Text file with URLs") which contains a list of URLs for the datasets from your selection.
- Copy the entire list of URLs.
- Click the Chrono icon at the top right of your browser and then click "Open Manager" link at the bottom of the Chrono window.
- Click on the big "plus" icon at the top left of the Chrono interface.
- Paste the URL list into the box labeled "URL" then click "Start!" (NOTE: the copied URL list may preload into the URL box)
- The download process should start automatically.
Regarding customization we do recommend users go into Chrono settings ("gears" icon) then the "interface" option and clear all the checkboxes except the one under miscellaneous. The pop-up notifications can be annoying. Also there are two progress displays option. We recommend the grid style. That is available by clicking the small "grid" icon at the lower left of the download progress screen.
You can also easily disable the download manager by going into Chrome browser settings then extensions then clear the enable checkbox. To turn it back on just go back to same screen and click enable.
Disclaimer: Chrono is a third party software extension that DHS did not develop, so we cannot guarantee the functionality or any other aspects of this software. You are responsible for the protection of your equipment and your data. DHS will not be liable for any problems or issues you may encounter in connection with using Chrono.
[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2016 15:06] by Moderator
Report message to a moderator